XL Jalebi from Lookmanji | How to make Instant Jalebi

XL Jalebi from Lookmanji - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets

We are on the 24th alphabet in our Journey through the Cuisines. I am doing A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets. Getting the right dish for some of the English alphabets was a tough nut to crack. So towards that I had given 3 wild cards, wherein one can use alternate English names, English Adjectives or other regional words. I was thinking about Q, X and Z as these alphabets may not be used in the regional languages. 

However during the course of this marathon, we realized that even some of the alphabets that we think easy ended up being so tough. So I didn't actually keep count on how many wild cards each of my buddies used. After all the objective of this is to enjoy ourselves and not tax too much.

Another exception to this rule would be those dishes that are actually referred that way in regional language or place. Like the Ice Halwa, that's how the halwa called in the place. So I was lucky in not using the wild card yet. 

During my interaction with my buddies, many came up asking what to do with the X, the X factor is always a problematic one when it comes to A to Z series. I let them choose what they felt comfortable. 

On my part, I got really lucky. I landed in this XL Jalebi from Lookmanji. I don't even remember how I landed at this dish. I wish I had more sense to remember how such serendipity happens. I really wish so that I can replicate it again. Ha, but then it is not serendipity right.

Anyway these XL Jalebis are famous from a Sweet stall, Lookmanji Mithaiwala at Mohammad Ali Road in Mumbai. This article gave me an idea on this huge jalebi looks. 

XL Jalebi is one massive jalebi which you will find at Lookmanji Mithaiwala at Mohammad Ali Road in Mumbai. It has a two-day shelf life and cannot be eaten in one go.

The Jalebi is bright red and is XL in shape. So it's called XL Jalebi.
Lookmanji Mithaiwala seems to be a popular joint for the Bohra and Parsis communities to meet and enjoy. The jalebi is red in colour, garnished with varakh and dry fruits. According to this article, it says "The red colour is very attractive. We make an orange one too, but when we put them side-by-side, people prefer the red ones"

The basic ingredients of a jalebi are maida and water, left to ferment overnight for the slight tang. Lookmanji adds saffron to its sugar syrup for fragrance and suggests eating them for breakfast with malai or slightly sweetened dahi.

I asked my friend to check this place and confirm. She said this sweet stall was mostly frequented by the Parsis and Muslim communities. While she knows about the Damodar Sweet Shop that also sells a huge XL Jalebi. I was all set to make the Lookmanji's colourful one!

Since I already have a Jalebi recipe on that blog that has the overnight fermentation method using Curds/Yogurt, I wanted an instant version to try. I also have a pictorial on making Jalebi with a Jalebi maker  So I checked for an instant version and was inspired by this, so went ahead using the Red colour as dished out from the Lookmanji's shop.
If you are looking for an authentic Lookmanjiwala, then I am sorry this is not from that shop. However how different can a Jalebi recipe be different?

I used instant yeast and made it within 40 mins of mixing, which actually makes this instant version. Also, I must say that making the huge Jalebi is much easier than you would think. I used ghee for deep frying and the taste is simply awesome because of it. Use a wide nonstick pan for making the huge Jalebis





XL Jalebi from Lookmanji

Ingredients Needed:
Makes about 8-10 jalebis

All Purpose Flour/ Maida - 1 cup 
Rice Flour - 2 1/2 tbsp
Instant Yeast - 1 tsp (3 tbsp sour yogurt)
Red Colour - 1/4 tsp (use 1/4 tsp each saffron, turmeric for regular colour)
Salt a tiny pinch
Ghee for deep frying - 1/2 cup

For Sugar Syrup

Water - 2 cups 
Sugar - 2 cups 
Saffron strands few

How to make the Jalebis

For the Batter:

Using the curds/yogurt: Combine the curds along with flours, colours and make a batter using just enough water. The consistency should be like dosa / pancake batter. Keep it covered and let it ferment overnight or at least 6 - 8 hrs.

For the Instant Version: Dissolve the instant yeast in a bowl having 3 tbsp hot water. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Then in a mixing bowl, combine the flours with the dissolved yeast, food colour. Add water, little at a time to make a thick batter. Cover and let it ferment for an hour (Mine got done by 40 mins, it was 34 C noon. )

For the Syrup

In a pan, take the water and sugar, make one thread sugar syrup, this takes about 15 mins on medium flame. Add saffron as it gets cooked.

Making the Jalebi

After fermentation, the batter should be light. Add extra water if needed. In fact, you will see the bubbles coming on as we have used instant yeast.

I used a plastic sheet for piping out, you could use a piping bag as well. 

Heat a nonstick pan with ghee, lower the flame to medium, then scoop the batter into the plastic cover, press down on the hot ghee and swirl around in a circle motion to make the XL Jalebi. Depending on the size you want, you can remove making the swirls.

Fry until the jalebi is golden on both sides. Take it out of the pan and drop into the hot syrup for 5-7 seconds. Strain the extra syrup out and take the jalebis out. 

Serve hot.

Notes:

Jalebis tends to become soggy as it cools down. So always make it fresh. Cooking on medium/low flame helps make the Jalebi crispy.



from Spice your Life

No comments:

Post a Comment