Vellai kurma recipe, white kurma

Vellai kurma recipe
Vellai kurma white kurma, a south Indian vegetable gravy in which vegetables are cooked in coconut based white masala for a flavourful dish that goes well with chapathi, puri, idli or dosa.
Everytime I make my regular mixed veg kurma, I would think I should try something different. White kurma, the name itself is very tempting and wanted to try for idiyappam mainly. But had no clue how to make it. I got several requests now to post vellai kurma. So thought I should try making it.
I adapted this recipe from a video. I am back from my India trip, 3 weeks of time flew away just like that. Lots of travel (which I love) and cooking in between. I hope you saw my Instagram posts. I am yet to come back to full swing. Somehow managing everyday routine, so much tired and lazy ;P Today I pushed myself to post this kurma as it has been so long I posted an interesting recipe. I scheduled all simple posts and went for the trip, now should get into some serious cooking.

white-kurma
I am yet to approve and reply to your comments and queries, thanks for being patient, I will definitely answer each one of you soon.
My MIL’s mixed veg kurma is somewhat similar but cannot be said white kurma. I am glad I tried this one, the flavour was so refreshing and awesome. Aj too loved this a lot.

Vellai kurma recipe

Recipe Cuisine: Indian |  Recipe Category: Sides
Prep Time: 15 Mins   |  Cook time:25 minsServes:4 | Author:

Click here for cup measurements

Vellai kurma white kurma, a south Indian vegetable gravy in which vegetables are cooked in coconut based white masala for a flavourful dish that goes well with chapathi, puri, idli or dosa.
White kurma recipe

Ingredients

  • Potato – 3, small
  • Beans – 5
  • Carrot – 1/2
  • Green peas – 1/4 cup
  • Cauliflower florets – 1 cup
  • Onion - 1
  • Lemon juice – 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves – 1 sprig
  • To grind

  • Coconut, grated – 3/4 cup
  • Green chilli – 5, small
  • Cashew nuts – 5
  • Fried gram dal, pottu kadalai – 1 tsp
  • Small onions, shallots - 6
  • Garlic, small variety – 5 flakes
  • Ginger chopped – 1/2 tbsp
  • Fennel – 1/2 tsp
  • Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
  • Clove – 1
  • Cardamom – 1
  • To temper

  • Oil – 2 tbsp
  • Fennel – 1/2 tsp
  • Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
  • Clove – 1
  • Cardamom – 1

Method

  1. Peel the skin of potato, carrot and chop it along with beans, finely. Keep aside with green peas. Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces and soak in hot water with salt until use.
  2. In a container, place the chopped veggies except cauliflower. Add 1/4 tsp sugar, little salt and water (1/4 cup). Pressure cook just for a whistle.
  3. Gather and grind all the ingredients under ‘To grind’. First grind without water and later add water and grind smoothly.
  4. Heat a kadai with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.
  5. Add sliced onion and fry until soft. Add the ground paste and give it a mix. (I transferred to a heavy bottomed vessel)
  6. Add cooked vegetables, cauliflower and required water (2 cups). Simmer until cauliflower gets cooked and gravy gets thick.
  7. Cauliflower should get cooked, so make sure to add enough water. As cools down, gravy will thicken slightly.  Add torn curry leaves, lemon juice and mix well.

Notes

  • Add more potato and cauliflower to keep the kurma on whiter side.
  • My potatoes after chopping roughly came 1 & 1/2 cups.
  • Do not over cook the veggies. Here in singapore, cauliflower gets cooked and mashed very fast. So I add separately only.
  • Keep mixing to avoid the gravy getting burnt.
  • I added 2 tsp of coconut oil and it was really good.
  • You can add coriander leaves too for garnish.

Step by step pictures

  1. Peel the skin of potato, carrot and chop it along with beans, finely. Keep aside with green peas. Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces and soak in hot water with salt until use.step-1-vellai-kurma
  2. In a container, place the chopped veggies except cauliflower. Add 1/4 tsp sugar, little salt and water (1/4 cup). Pressure cook just for a whistle.step-2-vellai-kurma
  3. Gather and grind all the ingredients under ‘To grind’. First grind without water and later add water and grind smoothly.step-3-vellai-kurma
  4. Heat a kadai with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table. Add sliced onion.step-4-vellai-kurma
  5. Fry until soft. Add the ground paste. (I transferred to a heavy bottomed vessel)step-5-vellai-kurma
  6. Give it a mix. Add cooked vegetables, cauliflower.step-6-vellai-kurma
  7. and required water (2 cups). Simmer until cauliflower gets cooked and gravy gets thick.step-7-vellai-kurma
  8. Cauliflower should get cooked, so make sure to add enough water. Once thick, switch off the flame. Add torn curry leaves.step-8-vellai-kurma
  9. Add lemon juice and mix well. As cools down, it will thicken slightly.step-9-vellai-kurma
You can serve this with Idli, dosa, chapati, idiyappam or even puri.


keywords: Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Kids Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment