Kara seedai recipe, seedai with store bought rice flour

Kara seedai recipe
Kara seedai or spicy seedai with store bought rice flour. If you don’t have much time to spend to prepare fresh rice flour the traditional way, you can adapt this way.
The first time when I felt like having seedai some 10 years back, I thought I could make my own and my first attempt was a disaster. I made with readymade rice flour and I thought that was the reason for bursting. Later stuck to the traditional way of making seedai with fresh homemade rice flour.


This year, I wanted to try some other version of seedai and kept this spicy seedai and wheat flour seedai in my list. I dropped wheat flour seedai and thought will post this. I made yesterday and again, the seedais went popcorn. I was prepared for it, so thankfully no spilling over. But felt really bad that my day went for waste. I thought I will try again with fresh homemade rice flour today.
But for the last time, I gave it a try after adapting the method from here, only this time followed the same way that I treat the homemade rice flour. And it worked, it never burst and turned out great! What I did that yesterday I didn’t ? Last time, I never roasted the flours, sieved the flours, skipped coconut too. And looks like roasting and sieving really matters. Check our my notes section for more tips.

🎉Wishing you all a Happy Gokulashtami!🎉
spicy-seedai

Kara seedai recipe

Recipe Cuisine: Indian |  Recipe Category: Snacks
Prep Time: 30 mins   |  Cook time: 30 minsMakes: 2 cups  | Author:

Click here for cup measurements

Kara seedai or spicy seedai with store bought rice flour. If you don’t have much time to spend to prepare fresh rice flour the traditional way, you can adapt this way.

Kara seedai recipe

Ingredients

  • Rice flour – 1 cup
  • Urad dal flour – 1 & 1/2 tsp
  • Roasted gram (pottukadalai) powder – 1/2 tsp
  • Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
  • Butter, softened – 2 tsp
  • Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
  • Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
  • Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
  • Salt – As needed

Method

  1. Roast rice flour well until you see steam rising from it. Roast urad dal and roasted gram flour too well. Do everything in medium flame stirring constantly without changing the colour of the flours.
  2. Dry roast grated coconut too until golden and dry, in medium flame.
  3. Sieve the flours together, twice.
  4. In a mixing bowl, add the sieved flour, red chilli powder, butter, sesame seeds, asafoetida, salt and mix well.
  5. Add water to make a dough. The dough should be on dry side, not soggy. Make small tiny balls out of the dough.
  6. Make sure to not apply too much pressure while rolling. Repeat to finish and spread over a clean kitchen towel. I spread over kitchen tissue.
  7. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai. Add the seedais in small batches. Keep yourself away from the frying seedai. It may burst after one or two minutes only.
  8. Once you know it is not bursting, stir it to ensure even cooking.
  9. It takes a lot of time for the seedais to get cooked, so be patient and drain only once the bubbles ceases and the shhh sound stops completely. Drain over paper towels.

Notes

  • I added 1 tbsp of melt butter but it was too much I guess, so I have reduced a tsp in my recipe.
  • Keep enough oil in the kadai, as we don’t even stir initially. If less oil, then it may not be cooked evenly.
  • Make sure to roast everything well.
  • Always stand in a safe distance. I used one of my lids to cover the kadai (with little space for steam venting), upto 3/4th frying part of seedai.
  • It takes long time to cook, first while you drop the seedai the flame should be high. Then while cooking let it be in medium flame.
  • If you want, skip the pottukadalai flour and make with just urad dal flour. 

Step by step pictures

  1. Roast rice flour well until you see steam rising from it. Roast urad dal and roasted gram flour too well. Do everything in medium flame stirring constantly without changing the colour of the flours.kara-seedai-recipe1
  2. Dry roast grated coconut too until golden and dry, in medium flame.kara-seedai-recipe2
  3. Sieve the flours together, twice.kara-seedai-recipe3
  4. In a mixing bowl, add the sieved flour, red chilli powder, butter, sesame seeds, asafoetida, salt and mix well.kara-seedai-recipe4
  5. Add water to make a dough. The dough should be on dry side, not soggy. Make small tiny balls out of the dough.kara-seedai-recipe5
  6. Make sure to not apply too much pressure while rolling. Repeat to finish and spread over a clean kitchen towel. I spread over kitchen tissue. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai. Add the seedais in small batches. Keep yourself away from the frying seedai. It may burst after one or two minutes only.kara-seedai-recipe6
  7. Once you know it is not bursting, stir it to ensure even cooking. It takes a lot of time for the seedais to get cooked, so be patient and drain only once the bubbles ceases and the shhh sound stops completely. Drain over paper towels.kara-seedai-recipe7
You can try this for Gokulashtami and let me know how you liked it.
kaara-seedai


keywords: Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Kids Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment