Aloo Paneer Tikkis (Healthy Peas Potato & Paneer Tikki)

Here’s an addictive vegetarian and gluten-free street food recipe for snack time! These Aloo Paneer Tikkis are for when you get grubby at 5pm and crave something delicious that is healthy, too! Make them for the festive season or for the kids after they come back from school – they’re going to love it!

It’s no secret that tikkis are as rooted in my North Indian soul as samosas and Thumbs Up. Chaat is always on the menu when I visit Raipur, but this Diwali, time flew away faster than those gol gappas at the local chaat waala. So I made these healthy aloo paneer tikkis to make do.

It has been a long two weeks of first falling sick and living on khichdi and then making up for it by eating as many jalebis as I could without being called a glutton. Because my mum’s crisp, hot, super thin jalebis dunked in just enough chashni (thick sugar syrup) to not make them cloyingly sweet, are the best in the world. So good that they’ve spoilt me for jalebis available outside.

But this isn’t about jalebis. This is about these aloo paneer tikkis, which are perfect for the Diwali or the aftermath of it. Guys, I tried. I really did. To eat healthy as much as I could, and fought with myself to follow all of my 5 tips to eat healthy this festive season. But umm the jalebis are a once in a year affair and I fell quite hard for them. But you know my intentions are true and good. And these healthy aloo paneer tikkis are making me feel better. Because they are healthier. Not swimming in ghee, not fried and not as carb heavy. Am I doing tikkis a disservice? Let’s not think about that.

I even stayed away from the Thumbs Up for this one, and served them with some Flavored Lemon and Honey Tetley Green Tea instead. Because I’m all about the balancing act now. And a cup or two of green tea a day definitely makes me feel all refreshed and gives me my daily dose of antioxidants. Plus I’ve heard they have a few new flavours now. Citrus and Spice anyone? Or maybe some Cinnamon and Honey? I’ll take both please. With another batch of these healthy aloo paneer tikkis.

I know I say healthy a lot. 

But let me quickly summarize why these aloo paneer tikkis are so healthy –

  • I added fresh green peas and paneer for flavour and protein
  • Oats and only oats (instead of flour/maida) which makes them gluten free and high fiber. If you are making this for navratri, swap this with powdered Sabudana
  • Only 3 tablespoons of ghee to make 8 of these

Convinced? Saaaay yesssss! Sprinkle with some chaat masala, and serve them with some tamarind chutney or green coriander chutney for an added kick!

More Indian Snacks:

Aloo Paneer Tikki Recipe Video

P.S. The Ingredients in the above video have been tweaked slightly to make it appropriate as a fasting food for Navratri. If you aren’t fasting and want to make regular Aloo Paneer Tikkis, then follow the recipe below.

The tikkis served with chutney, ketchup and Tetley green tea.
Print

Healthy Aloo Paneer Tikki

Healthy north indian style aloo paneer tikkis are the perfect and easy appetizer for chilly evenings or when you have guests over!
Course Snacks & Appetizers
Cuisine North Indian
Keyword aloo paneer tikki, potato and cottage cheese, potato patties
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 portions
Calories 372kcal
Author Richa

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons Ghee
  • 3 Potatoes boiled and mashed
  • 100 grams Paneer or cottage cheese, grated
  • 3/4 cup steamed Green peas (optional)
  • 1 Onion finely chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 cup Instant cooking oats ground into powder (See Note 1)
  • 1 inch Ginger grated
  • 2 Green chilies finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Coriander chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon Chaat masala powder
  • Salt to taste

Instructions

  • To begin making this Healthy Aloo Paneer Tikki Recipe, start by combining all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except the ghee.
  • Combine all the ingredients well, while mashing the green peas lightly with your hands as you mix. Check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste.
  • Divide the mixture into equal size portions and shape them into 1/2 inch thick discs.
  • Heat ghee in a large skillet or pan and shallow fry the tikkis for 8-10 minutes on each side till golden brown and cooked through.
  • Sprinkle the tikkis with more chaat masala and chopped coriander, and serve hot with some spicy Pudina (Mint) Chutney and Tamarind Chutney or Ketchup.

Video

Notes

  1. Swap the powdered oats with 1 tablespoon sabudana that has been ground to powder in a mixie (watch video). This will make this fasting friendly

Nutrition

Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 838mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 3mg

The post Aloo Paneer Tikkis (Healthy Peas Potato & Paneer Tikki) appeared first on My Food Story.



from My Food Story https://ift.tt/2TfLM0b
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment